Formal Complaint Process

An individual who believes that discrimination or harassment has occurred may file a formal grievance. If accommodations are required to submit a complaint, The Center for Accessibility will provide accommodations. The formal complaint must include the following information:

  • A full description of the problem and any relevant facts;
  • A summary of the steps the complainant has already taken to attempt to resolve the problem, including the names of persons involved;
  • A statement of the requested resolution and the complainant’s rationale for the requested accommodations;
  • Any supporting documentation; and
  • The name, contact information and signature of the person initiating the complaint.

The ADA/504 Coordinator may interview or consult with the complainant and any other individual he/she believes to have relevant information, including faculty, staff and students. Additionally, all interested parties have the opportunity to provide any relevant evidence including witnesses and documentation.

The ADA/504 Coordinator will provide the results of their investigation to the student and the CFA, and a proposed resolution, if any within ten business days. Possible resolutions may include but are not limited to, corrective steps and measures to provide reasonable accommodations or a determination that the complainant is not entitled to the accommodations requested. If discrimination is found to have occurred, appropriate corrective and remedial action will be taken. The ADA/504 Coordinator will promptly communicate the resolution to the complainant and the relevant department or other individuals in writing within two business days of the ruling. The decision of the ADA/504 Coordinator will be final and any actions taken in response will complete the grievance process. Regardless of the final result of the formal grievance process all parties involved retain the right to file a complaint with the Department of Justice Civil Rights Division or any appropriate state or federal agency or in court.

To file an ADA complaint, visit

To file an ADA complaint, you may also send the information requested at to:

US Department of Justice 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Civil Rights Division

Disability Rights Section 1425 NYAV

Washington, D.C. 20530

Fax: (202) 307-1197

You may also file a complaint online at If you have questions about filing an ADA complaint, please call:

  • ADA Information Line: 800-514-0301 (voice) or 800-514-0383 (TTY)
  • Main Section Telephone Number: 202-307-0663 (voice and TTY)