Students are required to take the next-generation ACCUPLACER prior to registering for a mathematics, English or other course requiring a demonstrated level of ability. A student will be exempt from the next-generation ACCUPLACER if the student identifies as a Professional Series seeking student. A student who identifies as non-credential seeking will be allowed to take up to 4 credits before being required to take the next-generation ACCUPLACER test. If the student wants to take a class that has a prerequisite, the student must receive the area Dean’s approval prior to registration.
See the Testing section of this catalog for other waivers of the next-generation ACCUPLACER. Students may submit high school transcripts to be reviewed for multiple measures and ACCUPLACER exemption.
Students can be placed directly into ENGL101 by one of the following means:
- SAT/ACT score (see scores under “Student Seeking A Degree” section of this catalog)
- High School GPA (overall GPA of 75%, 2.5 or C AND a GPA of 80%, 3.0 or B in Junior and Senior English classes)
- ACCUPLACER Score
Incoming Students who have graduated high school in the past 5 years. Students who have graduated more than 5 years ago must take the ACCUPLACER.
Students can be placed directly into College level Math by one of the following means:
- SAT/ACT or ACCUPLACER Score
- MATH 121: Applications of Math; Requires high school GPA of 2.5, 75%, or a GED
- MATH 122: College Algebra; Requires grade in high school Algebra II of 80%, or B (3.0)
- MATH 220: Statistical Methods; Requires high school Statistics of grade of 80%, or B (3.0) or high school GPA of 2.5, 75%, or C+
- MATH 150: Pre-Calculus; Requires high school Pre-Calculus grade of 80%, or B (3.0)
- MATH 155: Calculus I; Requires high school Calculus grade of 80%, or B (3.0).
In order to meet these requirements, Atlantic Cape will accept official and non-official transcripts from public, private high schools or homeschools or GED certificates for review.
If the above standards are not met, students must take the ACCUPLACER for placement. NJ Stars students without SAT/ACT scores that exempt them will be required to take the ACCUPLACER. Students whose native language is not English are required to take the Oxford Online ESL placement test.