Other Types of Assistance

Federal College Work Study Program-FCWSP

FCWSP provides part-time jobs to students who have financial need. Their work schedule is built around their class schedule. An attempt is made to place students in jobs that relate to their course of study, interest and skills. Awards are based on limited federal appropriation.

Federal Tax Credits

There are two tax credits available to help you offset the costs of higher education by reducing the amount of your income tax. They are the American Opportunity Tax credit (modified Hope credit) and the Lifetime Learning credit.  If you are eligible to claim the lifetime learning credit and you are also eligible to claim the American opportunity tax credit for the same student in the same year, you can choose to claim either credit, but not both.

Please refer to IRS Publication 970 at www.irs.gov and, or consult with your tax accountant for more information.

New Jersey Army National Guard

College Educational Benefits

Guard members may take up to 15 credits per semester tuition-free. Students must apply for all available state and federal grants and/or scholarships for which they are eligible. Call (609)343-5082 for information.

NJ STARS – See the Admissions section of this catalog for information.

Marjorie Ward Scholars

The scholarship was made possible through a bequest from long time Cape May County resident and former educator Marjorie Ward. Applicants must enroll in Atlantic Cape as first-time, full-time students. Applicants must also earn a high school GPA of 2.5 or better and obtain two recommendations from a combination of teachers, counselors, principals and community leaders. This program may not be available every year. 

For information, contact the Financial Aid Office, (609) 343-5082, or 463-4774 or 625-1111, ext. 5082. www.atlantic.edu/finaid/scholarships.htm.  All scholarship and award monies are distributed to eligible applicants without regard to their race, color, national origin, religion, disability, age, marital status, pregnancy and related conditions, sex, sexual orientation, union membership or veteran’s status.

Scholarship and Award Program

Offered by Atlantic Cape

Scholarships are available to returning and graduating students. Each scholarship has a set of criteria that must be met by the applicant. All students maintaining a GPA of 2.5 or better are encouraged to apply. Each applicant is a potential candidate for all of the scholarships. A listing of available scholarships and awards, their respective eligibility requirements, and applications forms are available at the Financial Aid Office in early December.

Senior Adults Program-SAGES

Atlantic and Cape May county residents, 60 years of age or older, are eligible to join Atlantic Cape’s SAGES (Senior Adults Gaining Education and Stimulation program).  Membership is free.

As a member of SAGES, a senior adult may enroll tuition free in credit courses when space is available. Any senior adult taking a college-credit course will be assessed a general fee per credit hour, plus any special fees which apply to specific courses. Refer to the Tuition and Fees schedule for more information.

SAGES students must register for credit courses in person on the designated date. No mail registrations are accepted. Classes in Nursing, Culinary Arts, Baking Pastry, Food Service Management or class registrations submitted prior to the designated date are not eligible for tuition waivers. For information, call The Center for Student Success office at (609)343-5667.

Volunteer Fire Company, First Aid or Rescue Squad

An active member, in good standing, of a volunteer fire company, first aid or rescue squad, and the dependent children and spouse of a volunteer may enroll in courses at Atlantic Cape, on the designated date, on a tuition-free basis in credit courses when space is available. Classes in Nursing, Culinary Arts, Baking and Pastry, Food Service Management or class registrations submitted prior to the designated date are not eligible for tuition waivers. To register, volunteers or dependent children and spouse must submit a letter of eligibility from their municipality. Contact the municipality for information.