If the matter is not resolved between the student and faculty member or at the Academic Dean level, the student will contact the Director, Center for Student Success to file an appeal. The appeal process will be explained to the student and a student advocate will be assigned, if requested.
The Academic Standards, Policies, and Procedures Committee will be the appeal board for students who wish to appeal a faculty member's, Nursing chairperson or testing director's action. The committee must have a quorum in order to hear the charge.
The following procedure will be followed in order to provide the student with due process:
- The faculty member, Nursing chairperson or testing director will be notified of the appeal and will prepare a written statement of charges to be submitted to the Director, Center for Student Success,who will prepare and present the case to the Academic Standards, Policies and Procedures Committee.
- A hearing date will be selected that is mutually agreeable to all parties. The student will receive written notification of the violation and hearing date by registered mail or delivered in person and by email at least ten days before the date of the hearing. The hearing will take place on the scheduled date as long as the Committee has a quorum to hear the case.
- The charges, all affidavits, and all exhibits, which the College intends to submit, will be made available to the person making the allegation and the charged student for inspection.
- The student may bring counsel to the hearing in a consultative role only. In addition, the student can be assigned a student advocate from the counseling center to accompany them. The advocate can help the student prepare for the hearing and accompany the student to the hearing in a consultative role.
- The student will have the opportunity to present his/her own version of the facts, by personal statement as well as by affidavits and witnesses.
- The student will have the right to hear evidence against him/her and to question adverse witnesses personally.
- The Academic Standards, Policies, and Procedures Committee will make a determination of the facts of each case solely based on the evidence presented at the hearing. The chairperson of the committee will prepare a written statement of the committee's findings of fact and a recommendation to the Vice President of Academic Affairs for action.
- The Vice President of Academic Affairs receives recommendation and makes the appropriate decision regarding disciplinary action or dismissal of charges and the decision is final.